Monday, October 11, 2010

Albert Einstein defines insanity as this -- doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

For reasons which I believe to be more than coincidence, I've been hearing this quote over and over again, most recently in a Shia Lebeouf voiceover during Wall Street 2 (good performances, mediocre movie).

But as Shia said it in the film -- "Then technically, we're all insane."

Truer words have never been spoking by the talented man-child that crushed his own hand while drunk driving an SUV.

Einstein's statement makes sense, but it doesn't stop us from doing things over and over again. Why? Because it's comfortable. Very comfortable.

I hate comfort zones. I hate them because they're all comfy-cozy-warm-fuzzy feeling. Comfort zones are built to make you want to stay somewhere and not leave; they make you want to do the same thing the same way all the time.

I've learned the hard way that comfort is bad and DIS-comfort is good. Discomfort stretches you; makes you grow. Comfort will make you gain ten pounds and not get out of bed in the morning.

But why do comfort zones have to feel so...comfortable??

(By the way, in order to break out of one of my comfort zones, I'm trying to properly use semi-colons rather than working around them. I hope I did okay... APPLICATION!)

No comments: